Tuesday 11 December 2012

the pressing question

It seems that for the most part the pressing question a student hears during their University years is, "so what do you want to do when you graduate?". So much of the college journey seems to be consumed with the fear and uncertainty of what will happen when it is finished. I can see how having a plan can be a good thing - it can aid motivation and provide comfort. But you know what? I don't have a plan. I have passions that I don't quite know how to translate into a career plan, and I am not yet sure what I want to "work" at for many years to come.
Recently the pressing question has been posed to me a lot more than usual by family members and professors. I am a junior and it seems that this is suppose to be the time that I form an answer to this question - do I go to graduate school? Do I aim for a masters? A PHD? What do I want to study further? Where do I want to study? What do I plan on doing when my student visa runs out?
Its scary. I know that the fear can cripple me from enjoying the moment I am in and I try my hardest to not worry....but that's tough.
A while ago I saw this video on Taylor Sterling's blog. It made me smile. I love hearing stories from people who take leaps of faith to pursue a calling on their life, a passion in their heart. This couple are as cute as a button and they inspire me to dig deep, cultivate a passion - for whatever delight has been placed in my heart, big or seemingly small - and take a leap of faith.

2 comments:

Megan Nash said...

Thanks for this post. I am graduating in May and have been feeling the same way. It is nice to see someone else not have a clue too:)

Nelle said...

Aw that video/message is cool!!